WAXI research staff are running several training courses in West Africa over the next 6-12 months, for more information and pre-registration please contact email@example.com. These courses are open to industry sponsors and non-sponsors alike:
1. Back to the basics applied structural geology & mapping -15 to 19 May 2017 (Classroom and field course – Ivory Coast)
2. Advanced applied structural geology – 22 to 26 May 2017 (field course / mine site – Ghana)
3. Mineral systems and Metallogeny of the Birimian Craton and Applications for Exploration Targeting : A regional to deposit scale perspective – 23 to 28 October 2017 (classroom and field – Burkina Faso) – Registration Form – Course Programme
4. Mineral alteration footprints and portable field techniques – 4 to 8 November 2017 (ASD, XRF, …) (classroom and field – Burkina Faso) – Registration Form – Course Programme
5. Field geomorphology and regolith mapping – 3 to 8 December 2017 : (field course – Burkina Faso)
6. Field and litho-structural mapping and integration of geophysical data (radiometrics, mag.): to be announced (probably in Early 2018)
The Structural Geology training course which is part of the WAXI training programme was held in Yamoussoukro, Cote d’Ivoire, from the 15 to 19 May 2017 (back to basics) and on the Newmont Akeym mine site in Ghana from the 22 to 26 May 2017 (advanced).
Our experienced trainers, Nicolas Thebaud and Quentin Masurel, presented, in the first course, the fundamental knowledge on applied structural geology in a dynamic manner with an emphasis on problem-solving activities, with field trips to practise structural mapping techniques.
In the second course they focused on techniques and best practise for open pit mapping, structural logging of drill core and hands-on practice with time spent in the open pit and at the core yard.
A total of 45 participants, all showing a lot of enthusiasm, are now equipped with new knowledge in applied structural geology. They all made the promise to sharpen their skills with experience and continuous practise in the field.